Show MenuHide Menu

Reflective Journal – Week 5

September 22, 2019

1. What did you actually learn from the unit.

This week I learned more about characteristics of a great leader, and about performance appraisals. I honestly haven’t dealt too much with performance appraisals which is a little weird for me because I spent two years with my last company but they didn’t seem to care about checking in with me so long as the clients were happy. I also didn’t consider some of the things that Sean taught in his lecture before, such as not firing on a Friday because it can leave people feeling helpless in turning around to find a new job. I haven’t had to think too much about a leader’s responsibility to terminate employees before, so that was interesting. I also learned more about how to make performance appraisals more effective such as spacing them out and spending the least amount of time necessary with each employee.

2. Discuss your feelings/experiences from the team activities. Did it change your opinion on the subject? If so, how? If not, why?

The team discussions were good. I like that we mostly came up with different greatest leaders of time, but it seemed that we all pulled similar characteristics from those people so that was interesting. My opinion did change on the subject of disciplining. I learned different perspectives on how to handle disciplining employees in tricky situations. There is just a lot of gray so I think we agreed on that, but some people were able to consider different sides of the story which was cool. I also thought it was interesting to read the criteria people would like to use to judge people in a performance appraisal.

I will utilize the information from this unit in my nursing practice by being aware of employees that are struggling and may need to be disciplined or terminated. I don’t like thinking about having to discipline people, but recognize that it is necessary and as a nurse I want people around me who are going to help our patients not those who may be a problem in the workplace. I also want to be aware of criteria I could equally judge people on so that if I had to do performance appraisals, I would be prepared with the best criteria to judge my employees. 

4. Your personal feelings about the material covered.

This unit was interesting. I liked the material covered because it was new and different. I enjoyed being able to learn more from a leader’s perspective on discipline and performance appraisal and how those are used in the workplace to improve our performance and care for patients.