Show MenuHide Menu

Performance Appraisal Interview

September 29, 2019

I interviewed Brian Tippetts who works at Coca-Cola. Here are the questions and answers to this interview:

1.What is your least favorite thing about performance appraisals?

Unfortunately, for some companies, they don’t reward good or bad behavior, but are more for keeping the status quo. I like when goals are set and discussed during the performance appraisals and they help determine the outcome.

2.How do you approach an interview with an employee who struggles performing their job duties adequately?

Most likely, I’ve talked to them before and set goals on what needs to improve and also shared my expectations for the job duties. During the interview we discuss those goals and expectations and what progress or steps are being made toward reaching the goals. If progress is not made, then either a timeframe is set for completion or some sort of probationary period or formal discipline is started.

3.What behavior do you look for in an employee AFTER their performance review?

I like when the employee helps come up with goals beforehand and then we discuss those. If they are engaged in the review and see their own potential along with a supportive company, I will usually see new commitment, a new level of excitement and energy.

4.What things do you focus on in a performance appraisal interview?

Usually a set of design specific attributes and also personal and team goals. Provide examples of what they do well and areas for improvement for which we set new goals for the next appraisal.

5.How do you help your employees improve after a performance appraisal?

Set goals and then follow-up with then regularly. When goals are reached, set new ones that push them.

6.How often do you hold performance appraisals for full-time vs part-time employees?

Full-time employees usually once a year per company standards, but I hold informal quarterly interviews. For part-time employees it is usually more of a temp position, so I am providing constant feedback and mentoring.

7.How long do your performance appraisals last?

For the yearly ones, they are usually 1-2 hours each. For the informal ones, maybe 30 minutes.

8.What does your performance appraisal criteria look like and how is it implemented?

We have a document that we go through and “grade” the employee from 1-5 on 20-30 questions in 5 categories. Then we can write the accomplishments and areas of improvement. This is then combined with goals that were set. These are talked about and one copy goes to the employee, one copy is placed into my folder and one copy goes to HR.

9.How do you prepare for a performance appraisal interview with an employee?

Gather all the completed reviews, goal sheet, notes, and examples of accomplishments and review them all so that I have a complete picture of where the employee stands. Then I write down some notes to make sure that I discuss in the interview.

10.What are two topics concerning job performance you like to discuss with employees while conducting a performance appraisal interview.

Their job accomplishments and the goals that have been reached during the year.

11.What tactics do you use to ensure employees actually learn from issues that are discussed during the review?

I like to repeat things and give the employee the opportunity to come up with their own solutions to difficult situations. Afterwards, I make sure and check in often to see if they comprehend the things that were discussed.

12.What is the most common issue that comes up with employees during a review?

It is coming into the review thinking that everything is perfect and that they are entitled to a perfect review.  It is always hard to bring up areas of improvement especially when the employee is so talented and hard working.  I just let them know that we can always improve ourselves, so we find something that will push them a bit and be fun and exciting.

This interview was very interesting and eye-opening for me. At his company, he stated that his yearly interviews for his full-time employees last 1-2 hours which I found very interesting. I also found it important that he mentioned goal setting as the most important aspect of his performance interviews. Even when employees are awesome and hard-working, everyone can improve which I feel is the purpose of any performance appraisal. I like that he follows up with his employees and really works with them to improve in their own chosen ways, while directing them to become better according to company standards.