Show MenuHide Menu

Reflective Journal – Week 6

September 29, 2019

1.What did you actually learn from the unit.

I learned a lot about ethics committees and the importance of them. I also learned a little more about performance appraisal interviews from the interview I was able to do. I learned that ethics committees are made up of multiple people, depending on the organization, but that their main function is to be able to provide multiple perspectives and opinions to a case that involves an ethical issue that cannot be decided on otherwise. I learned that they are available at any place we work at, but they aren’t utilized as much which is unfortunate.

2.Discuss your feelings/experiences from the team activities? Did it change your opinion on the subject? If so, how? If not, why?

I learned from the activities that there are many sides to any story that need to be considered. There are also many ways we can approach any ethical situation that we face. It is important to utilize the people around us so that we can really understand every situation that we face and we can provide the best care possible.

I will utilize this information by realizing that others’ opinions and perspectives are very valuable in ethical cases. I will also reach out to the ethics committee whenever I feel there may be a case too difficult to make a decision on by myself or the team.

4. Your personal feelings about the material covered.

I think this material is very important. It is important to involve an ethics committee where there is no clear answer to how to approach a case and provide care to our patients. We can never know the best answer to any case, so it is very important to utilize a committee that can provide the right perspective and best direction to guide decisions to patient care.