Show MenuHide Menu

Reflective Journal – Week 7

October 7, 2019

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

I learned that firing/disciplining can be very difficult. Many times there are multiple factors that lead to an employee getting fired, either in their home or work environment. I learned that it can be just as difficult for a manager to have to fire someone that they know has dependents that rely on them for resources, and that those are important things to keep in mind when considering firing an employee.

I felt that the team activities were helpful. Our discussion this week was about budgeting, and we all had slightly different opinions but were all thinking along the same lines. Some just considered cutting some hours or being more strict on nursing hours, while others considered cutting more employees to cut the budget. There were great ideas about how to cut the budget, so it was good to learn from them. My mind was somewhat changed after learning from others’ opinions about what they would do in that situation.

I will utilize this in my future nursing practice by having another manager help in the firing/discipline process. I would ensure that I wasn’t the only manager involved in firing or disciplining an employee, and I would consider their family situation as I approached firing or discipline. 

As far as budgeting goes, I will be aware that there are multiple opinions on how a budget may be cut, and that I can best serve the unit by utilizing as many opinions as possible in order to come to the best conclusion because mine might not always be the right opinion.

4. You personal feelings about the material covered.

Budgeting and firing/discipline are hard. These are things that I don’t look forward to if I enter a manager position in nursing. Firing and discipline would be hard for me because I would want to keep an employee based on their family situation, but would need to discipline or fire them based on the impact their performance has on the company.

Budgeting is hard for me. I enjoy budgeting for myself, but when it involves people, it is just hard for me. We decided that we would cut most from the RN staffing budget which would just be hard for me because it directly affects staff and their families. These are just decisions that are hard for me to make.